The governance structure of the Trust consists of a Board of Trustees (Directors) who are responsible for the strategic direction, financial management, and performance of the Trust and each school within the Trust.
Each School within Barton Court Academy Trust (BCAT) has its own Local Governing Body (LGB).
The Members have overall nominal responsibility for the Trust but they exercise their functions through the Trust Board.
The powers and duties of the Members in broad terms are:
- To appoint and remove Trustees.
- To maintain the Membership and to appoint Members.
- To approve any proposed changes to the Articles of Association.
- To receive the annual accounts of the Trust.
The Trustees are the Directors of the Trust and are the equivalent of Governors in a Local Authority-maintained school. As company directors their duties are to:
- act within their powers;
- promote the success of the company;
- exercise independent judgment;
- exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence;
- avoid conflicts of interest;
- not to accept benefits from third parties; and
- declare any interest in proposed transactions or arrangements
The Trust Board (Board of Directors)
The Trust Board focuses on the three core functions of governance:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Executive Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the academies and their pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the Trust and making sure its money is well spent.
The Local Governing Body (LGB)
The Local Governing Body is responsible for:
- Reporting to the Trust Board on the overall performance of the School
- Monitoring the annual spend of that part of the Trust budget delegated to be managed by the Head of School
- Monitoring of educational outcomes of the School
- Monitoring all aspects of safeguarding, SEN, equality and student welfare
- Dealing with the regulatory requirements of admissions policy-setting and exclusions through designated committees of the LGB
- Liaising with the Trust Board and Executive Headteacher on all aspects of policy setting as they may respectively require
- Arranging election of elected members of the LGB as directed by the Trust Board and in accordance with the Articles of Association
- The Chair of BCAT and the Executive Headteacher are entitled to attend all LGB meetings and those of any sub-committees.